Tuesday 23 July 2013

Taksim Square, Istanbul

During my visit to Istanbul I paid a short visit to Taksim Square. Short because I was a little wary of not knowing my way around very well and being on a group trip. However I did manage to grab a few shots whilst I was there.

My visit was during the day whilst the occupancy of the area was peaceful and everyone was having a good time, no rioting.

The square was filled with political messages from all over the world with solidarity from many countries. This shot only shows one side of it and doesn't do much justice as to how full it was.

Heavy machinery wasn't feared as equipment was painted on and some burnt out. 

Left over from the riot the night before, this gas mask was just casually hung on some railings.

Protesters sat sunning themselves and singing songs in the centre of the square.

Graffiti messages were sprayed all over the floor, being walked over by public and protesters.

Viewing the square from the outskirts.

I found the Square a really fascinating place and would have loved to have been a bit braver or to be on my own holiday over there so I could have spent some more time there.